Resident Spotlight: Helen McColl
on August 4th, 2014 in Alpharetta, GA | No Comments
Where was I born?
I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama in an orphanage and a total of four (4) foster homes.
Some of my favorite memories from childhood are:
I don’t have a lot of good memories due to the circumstances, however those I do recall are:
- Train rides from Birmingham to Indianapolis, particularly dining in the dining car.
- Vaudeville shows in Indianapolis.
- Skipping grades in school. I graduated from high school at the age of 15 years.
Some of my favorite memories from adulthood are:
- Finding out I was pregnant for the very 1st time after trying for so many years.
- I loved being a stay-at-home mom doing arts and crafts and cooking demonstrations. Raising three girls.
- Working at the Warner Robbins AFB as an illustrator.
My Profession(s) were:
- Worked in the telephone company in accounting as a draftsman.
- Illustrator for the Commanding General at Warner Robbins AFB.
- I became famous in my field later when I developed a program and taught fire protection in seminars to engineers to enable them to design systems for fire protection. The product was Halon. I traveled America, Europe and Canada. I moved to San Francisco for three years then made an offer to take the program to the Middle East so I spent three months there just to see if I could and I liked it. Returned and moved to Milwaukee, then to Atlanta.
U.S. Historical event memories:
- Kennedy’s assassination. I had worked on his political campaign.
- 9/11 – very emotional time for me.
The accomplishments I feel most proud of would be:
- Teaching myself to design Halon systems and becoming well-known as the only woman to do so.
- Starting a house plant business, growing houseplants and selling them to individuals, garden clubs, and commercial establishments.
The lessons I have learned in life to share with someone just graduating college…
Is to be true to yourself and don’t let anyone stop you from living your dream.
What I have learned in life and wish to share with someone just starting a family…
Is to stay home with your children when they are young prior to starting school.
I chose Dogwood Forest of Alpharetta because…
My children convinced me that it was where I needed to be. The location was best for them.
I enjoy Dogwood Forest as my home because…
Of the socialization, Bridge club and other mind-challenging games.
My favorite part of living at Dogwood is…
Meeting new people and being involved in outings. I introduce myself to everyone.
My best friend at Dogwood is…