Resident Spotlight: Landon Smith
on July 2nd, 2014 in Alpharetta, GA | No Comments
I grew up in:
Some of my favorite memories from childhood are:
- I was a showman from the very beginning and had lots of friends.
- Riding my motorbike and delivering newspapers. This is how I earned money for the motor used on the bike.
- I became a magician at the age of 12 years old and performed at city schools, churches and birthday parties.
Some of my favorite memories from adulthood are:
- Meeting my wife Izzie in Greensboro, NC. We dated for about 18 months and I wanted to get married soon but she didn’t so we put if off for awhile.
- Raising my two girls.
- Being a magician. I learned to never, ever, give away the secret of a trick. I was self-taught.
- Painting pictures in acrylics.
I joined the Navy a few weeks short of 18 years old and served for three years during peace time in Pearl Harbor.
I was an electronics technician with AT&T in Greensboro, NC. Thinking I could make it in my own business, I left after several years and grew flowers on the 45 acres we owned. I drove a truck with the flowers from florist to florist selling these flowers at a better rate than most wholesalers. Eventually I went back to work as an electronics technician, working for GE. I obtained my FCC license and worked with microwave radio systems.
U.S. Historical event memories:
I witnessed personally the one and only explosion of the “H” bomb. I was on a ship 30 miles away and we saw an unbelievable flash and saw the cloud. This was so powerful we could feel the heat from the explosion.
The accomplishments I feel most proud of would be:
When I received my FCC license.
The lessons I have learned in life to share with someone just graduating college:
Set goals and don’t give up.
What I have learned in life and wish to share with someone just starting a family is:
To consider everything and don’t start a family too soon.
I chose Dogwood Forest of Alpharetta because:
My daughter liked the building, the location, the activities and the feeling that I can maintain the same rights as in “independent” living.
I enjoy Dogwood Forest as my home because of:
The food, the activities, and the residents are friendly and make me feel at home.
My favorite part of living at Dogwood is:
All of the above!
My best friends at Dogwood are:
None yet. I have been here a week.